Pages

Friday 22 August 2014

Dog Training - Preparation

My boyfriend has a miniature poodle by the name of Honey.  It is evil.  This dog has every single bad behaviour that you could possibly think of.

The barking is one of the worst things that this little bundle of fire is capable of.  It's not a normal bark, either... it's a piercing bark.  You know, the one that makes you cringe as you feel the sound permeating through your brain as if someone rammed an ice pick into your eye and started stirring vigorously.

He also likes to bite fingers.  Not when you're doing anything - just when you're sitting there, watching TV, minding your own business.  He'll just stroll right up and bite down - hard.  The scratching that comes afterwards makes life even more fun.

Then there's the shit and piss.  It ends up all over, especially his favourite spot - the beautiful green shag carpet under the dining room table.  Every morning, my boyfriend and I wake up to at least 3 (usually more) presents of shit.  Sometimes I try to pick them up, but I usually end up almost vomiting, so my boyfriend ends up having to do it.

Once, the dog had diarrhea, and it spread everywhere.  He stepped in it and left little shit-prints all across the condo.  We had to throw out the welcome mat because it was so drenched in liquid shit - we used tongs to carry it out to the garbage chute, and down it went, smearing the whole way.  This lead to the dog being sent to my boyfriend's best friend, who is a huge dog person.

One week later, he gets a call from his friend.  She and her husband can't take it anymore and are sending the dog back to us because he's so horrible.  The dog arrives back here today.

I've had it with this little thing.  I'd get rid of it if I could, but I know it has sentimental significance to my boyfriend, so that's an absolute last resort.  Therefore, I have gone and purchased myself one of these delightful shock collars, pictured above.  The device is actually very sturdy and well-built - I'm impressed.  Very little assembly required - you just have to screw the electrodes onto the rechargeable collar and take the plastic off the battery in the remote.  It has a vibration button to use as a warning signal to your dog, and then it has 6 levels of shock, 6 being the highest and 1 being the lowest.  My mom tried the lowest setting, #1, and said that it was strange and "shocking" (pun intended), but that it was not too painful - so don't worry, it's not a torture device.  Want to try the collar yourself?  You can buy it here.

I am going to try this thing on the dog tonight in hopes that it will shut up and behave.  Poodles are supposed to be very smart, and I think this one is, because he is capable of opening sliding doors all by himself.  So if I'm lucky, it'll only take a few zaps, and the problem will be solved.  I'm willing to take much longer to teach that little shit if necessary, though.

Well, that's it for me for now.  I'll let you all know how it goes!  Also, if you care to try the collar on your dog, please consider using this link, as it supports me and my very pathetic budget :).  Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment