Pages

Tuesday 19 August 2014

My Gay Spiritual Thoughts

Hey people!  With all of my introductions squared away, I figured it would be good to start by discussing my experience in high school.  I went to a Catholic one, which made things... interesting.

When I started off, I identified as agnostic.  I went to Cardinal Newman Catholic Secondary School (which everybody just called CN), and I am assuming that CN's intention with their mandatory religion classes was to "inspire" students to take up the Catholic faith.  Interestingly, it had the complete opposite effect on me.  By the time my five years of high school (more on that later) were up, I had become a raving atheist, and Catholicism still gives me a bad taste in my mouth.  One of my favorite books, now, is actually A Universe From Nothing by Dr. Lawrence Krauss, which actually goes into incredible detail on the conceptual physics of why the universe doesn't actually need God.

To clarify, I mean atheist to mean exactly what the word implies.  The Greek prefix a means "not" or "without", and theos means "God", so atheist means "without God".  That by no stretch of the imagination means that I am not spiritual.  It just so happens that my spirituality and belief is rooted in science (albeit fringe science, but still), and revolves around the idea of balance in the universe.  Perhaps I'll write a more detailed post about my spiritual inclinations one day, but for now, suffice to say that I don't believe in organized religion.

We all know that Christianity isn't terribly fond of gay people.  After all, with the Westboro Baptist Church running the "God Hates Fags" campaign, who could possibly have respect for crazy religious radicals?  Funny enough, the founder of that whole movement, Fred Phelps, is quite dead now.  Looks like God hated him more than he hates us fabulous gays.  After all, according to the Bible, God is the creator of everything.  That includes rainbows, so he must like being fabulous too.

Then again, every once in a while, you'll get a respectable religious person who says something that is actually smart.  Take our friend Pope Francis, who once said, "If someone is gay and he searches for the Lord and has good will, who am I to judge?"  Now if only we could get him to endorse in vitro fertilization and stem cell research.  I must develop my evil gay agenda some more to make that happen.  Perhaps I'll use the allure of this adorable plush stem cell to win him him over.

Speaking of which, can someone please explain to me where the "gay agenda" myth came from?  That one has to be my favorite myth.  Yes, once a month, my boyfriend and I go to this creepy basement somewhere with all the other gay people of the city, and we hash out a plan to turn everyone gay.  No success yet, but we'll just keep trying.  That just sounds so ludicrous.

Well that's it for this post.  Next up, who knows.  Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment